- Title: THAILAND: AUSTRIAN FAMILY SEARCH FOR 11 YEAR OLD BOY LOST IN TSUNAMI DISASTER
- Date: 17th January 2005
- Summary: (W2) PHUKET, THAILAND (JANUARY 17, 2005)(REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) 1. WIDE OF MISSING PERSONS BOARD AT DISASTER CENTRE 0.05 2. CLOSE OF PHOTOGRAPH OF 11-YEARS-OLD DAVID BAUMGARTNER ON MISSING PERSONS BOARD 0.09 3. WIDE OF MISSING PERSON'S BOARD 0.13 4. CLOSE OF PHOTOGRAPH OF DAVID BAUMGARTNER ON HIS COUSIN, MICHAELA WAGNER'S BACKPACK 0.19 5. PULLOUT OF MICHAELA WAGNER OUTSIDE CITY HALL NEXT TO DISASTER CENTRE 0.31 6. CLOSE OF PHOTOGRAPHS OF DAVID TAGGED TO HER BAG 0.37 7. SLV MICHAELA WAGNER SPEAKING TO REPORTER 0.43 8. CLOSE OF PHOTOGRAPH OF DAVID BAUMGARTNER 0.48 9. SCU MICHAELA WAGNER 1.02 10. WIDE OF MICHAELA WAGNER TALKING TO REPORTER 1.08 11. SCU (SOUNDBITE)(English) MICHAELA WAGNER SAYING: "Our family and friends are searching in Phuket, in Khaolak, Tai Muang and Bangkok. We do it all day and night and we hope, I cannot say much more, we hope. A lot of people said he was in this place, he was in this place, but... it's all...it's not sure now. God helps" 1.40 12. CLOSE OF PHOTOGRAPH OF DAVID BAUMGARTNER 1.47 13. SLV MICHAELA WAGNER WALKING DOWN STREET WITH PICTURES OF HER COUSIN DAVID BAUMGARTNER STRUNG TO THE BACK OF HER BAG 1.52 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 1st February 2005 12:00
- Location: PHUKET, THAILAND
- Country: Thailand
- Reuters ID: LVADL4EAX2RU7FH8V7HVIOY6H707
- Story Text: Austrian family and friends still search for young
boy missing after tsunami in Thailand.
Michaela Wagner left her home and job in Vienna to
fly to Thailand and search for her young cousin who has
been missing since the tsunami hit Thailand.
For three weeks she has been following a string of hazy
clues related to possible sightings of 11-year-old David
On Tuesday she was at Phuket's disaster centre with
pictures of the boy. Wagner also spends time at city hall
in the hope that officials can help.
She is one of eight relatives and friends who spread
across Thailand's tsunami-affected areas searching for
His parents, Johan and Regina Baumgartner, are in
hospital in Austria recovering from injuries from the
The couple and their son were holidaying on Phuket
island when the wave struck.
The family's quest has been prompted by a series of
alleged sightings of the boy.
Wagner said David was reported to have gone to hospital
in Tai Muang accompanied by a foreign woman after the
December 26 tsunami struck and staff said they recognised
him as one of two foreign youths brought in with slight
The staff said he was transferred to a local authority
office, still accompanied by the unidentified foreign
woman, but no-one knows what happened next.
The group of family and friends have been to hospitals,
embassies, various villages and local authorities in their
"Our family and friends are searching in Phuket, in
Khaolak, Tai Muang and Bangkok. We do it all day and night
and we hope, I cannot say much more, we hope," said Wagner.
"A lot of people said he was in this place, he was in
this place, but... it's all...it's not sure now. God
Three weeks of searching has not discouraged Wagner and
the rest of the family and friends.
Their story is one of many of the relatives of the
missing. Some have gone home and are waiting to hear results of DNA
ts on bodies recovered from the debris.
Thousands of foreign tourists are still missing.
Thirteen Austrians died in the tsunami, while more than
100 are unaccounted for.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None