- Title: Japan: Tokyo: New traffic law for noodle delivery boys.
- Date: 13th March 1961
- Summary: No available shotlist (SHOTLIST CREATED 2014) TOKYO, JAPAN 10 Mar 1961 REUTERS Tokyo street Traffic Noodle delivery man carfrying pots of noodles on bicycle Delivery man balancing cans of noodles whilst cycling along road Noodle delivery man cycling through heavy traffic/ man has cigarette in mouth Close of cans and boxes of noodles being carried Tradtional houses with lines of washing between buildings Delivery man entering building Ma n cooking noodles in cooking pot ;/ lots of steam Cooked noodles put into basins Close of noodles in baskets Woman putting kettle on More of chef cooking noodles Noodles being made Family sitting at table eating noodles Child eating with chopsticks Another family eating noodles Geisha dioll Restaurant cafe with people/ workers eating noodles Exterior of cafe Chef putting food into bamboo baskets for delivery Pile of baskets and boxes ready for delivery Delivery man carrying baskets out of cafe and getting to bicycle for another delivery
- Embargoed: 28th March 1961 13:00
- Location: TOKYO, JAPAN
- Country: Japan
- Topics: Business,Industry,Quirky,Transport
- Reuters ID: LVAC1P842FDLVBUXTO4UM8ZV2AU9
- Story Text: Despite new traffic regulations, the familiar Japanese scenes of the "Soba" (noodle) delivery boy on his bicycle will not vanish from Tokyo streets.
According to the new law, as under the old law, a cyclist must always place both of his hands on the handle bars and raise one of his hands to make signals at street corner. The final for a violator is increased 10-fold from less than GBP3 under the old law to up to GBP30 under the new law.
But tradition-and maybe the convenience of the people - outweighted legal technicality. The Metropolitan Police Department's Traffic Section officials said, "To ride on a bicycle with piles of "soba" bowls on your shoulder is dangerous. It must be prohibited from the viewpoint of road traffic safety. But we will not place any stricter curb as they will lose more than half their customers".
With this police assurance to overlook the illegal traffic practice, "soba" delivery boys will continue to race through the streets of Tokyo.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None