- Title: Hong Kong court grants bail to disgraced former leader Tsang
- Date: 24th April 2017
- Summary: HONG KONG, CHINA (APRIL 24, 2017) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** HONG KONG HIGH COURT SIGN READING (English/Chinese): "THE HIGH COURT" CHINA AND HONG KONG FLAGS VARIOUS OF SECURITY OFFICERS STANDING GUARD MEDIA VARIOUS OF FORMER LEADER DONALD TSANG WALKING OUT OF COURT TSANG STANDING MEDIA VARIOUS OF TSANG GETTING INTO CAR MEDIA SURROUNDING TSANG'S CAR FRONT OF TSANG'S CAR TSANG'S CAR DRIVING OFF
- Embargoed: 8th May 2017 11:44
- Keywords: Hong Kong Donald Tsang release bail prison court
- Location: HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: China
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice
- Reuters ID: LVA0016DRCMKL
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A Hong Kong court granted bail on Monday (April 24) to former leader Donald Tsang who was jailed in February for 20 months for misconduct in public office.
Tsang, who is the most senior city official to serve time behind bars, was transferred to court from hospital where he had been taken from the city's Stanley Prison last week after complaining of breathing problems.
A nine-person jury ruled in February that Tsang had deliberately concealed private rental negotiations with property tycoon Bill Wong Cho-bau while his cabinet discussed and approved a digital broadcasting license for a now defunct radio company, Wave Media, in which Wong was a major shareholder.
Tsang, 72, had denied graft and pleaded not guilty.
Jurors failed to return a majority verdict for another charge related to bribery, with a re-trial tentatively set for September.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None