- Title: VARIOUS FILE: 9/11 allleged mastermind to be sent to New York court
- Date: 14th November 2009
- Summary: CAMP JUSTICE, GUANTANAMO BAY, CUBA (JUNE 5, 2008) (AGENCY POOL) EXTERIOR OF CAMP JUSTICE CAMP JUSTICE SIGN
- Embargoed: 29th November 2009 12:00
- Topics: Crime / Law Enforcement
- Reuters ID: LVADJJNUYEHHS81SL7K5H9N2C6BM
- Story Text: Five men accused of plotting the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks, including alleged mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, will be sent to the criminal court in New York from the U.S. military prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, an Obama administration official said on Friday (November 13).
The five were being prosecuted in U.S. military commissions at Guantanamo, but the Obama administration has pledged to close the controversial prison and move some of the cases to traditional U.S. criminal courts for trial.
Still, some will be tried in military tribunals, including the accused mastermind of the 2000 attack on the USS Cole warship in Yemen Abd al-Rahim al Nashiri, the administration official said, declining to be further identified.
U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder is expected to announce the decisions later on Friday, the official said.
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None