- Title: UNITED KINGDOM FILE: FOOTBALL/SOCCER - John Terry sacked as England captain
- Date: 6th February 2010
- Summary: OPORTO, PORTUGAL (NOVEMBER 24, 2009) (REUTERS) TERRY TRAINING WITH CHELSEA TERRY JOGGING WITH CHELSEA TEAM-MATES
- Embargoed: 21st February 2010 12:00
- Topics: Sports
- Reuters ID: LVAAW9PYY547FB9SLGGWML5LBTYY
- Story Text: John Terry was sacked as England captain on Friday (February 5) after a brief meeting with coach Fabio Capello, said the Football Association (FA).
The Chelsea defender, who was first made full-time skipper in 2006 by former coach Steve McClaren, has been the subject of intense media speculation following allegations about his private life.
"After much thought I have made the decision it will be best for me to take the captaincy away from John Terry," Capello said on the FA website (www.thefa.com).
"As a captain with the team John Terry has displayed extremely positive behaviour. However, I have to take into account other considerations and what is best for all of the England squad.
"What is best for all of the England team has inspired my choice," added Capello.
The Italian retained Terry as skipper when he took the England job in 2008 after the sacking of McClaren and since then the team have flourished, qualifying easily for the World Cup in South Africa in June.
However, married father of two Terry's suitability to continue in the high-profile role has been questioned after the recent damaging media coverage.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None