- Title: Two miners dead, six missing after tremor hits Polish mine
- Date: 30th November 2016
- Summary: POLKOWICE, POLAND (NOVEMBER 30, 2016) (REUTERS) MINE BUILDINGS FLAG FLYING ATOP TOWER GATE LEADING TO MINE PITHEAD WHEEL TURNING MINE BUILDINGS PITHEAD WHEEL TURNING SIGN AT MINE ENTRANCE PITHEAD
- Embargoed: 15th December 2016 09:01
- Keywords: Polkowice Poland miners earthquake magnitude deaths tremor
- Location: POLKOWICE, POLAND
- City: POLKOWICE, POLAND
- Country: Poland
- Reuters ID: LVA0015AMXA9Z
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: At least two miners died and six were still missing after an earth tremor hit the Rudna copper mine in Polkowice in southwestern Poland, state news agency PAP reported on Tuesday (November 29).
Nine people working at the mine run by state-run copper producer KGHM have sustained spinal and head injuries and five were still in hospital, KGHM's Chief Executive Radoslaw Domagalski-Labedzki told a news conference.
The mine is one of the largest copper mines in Europe and has been in operation since 1974.
Domagalski said two miners, aged 33 and 47 years, were killed as a result of the tremor and their families have already been informed. One of the miners died after he was taken to the surface, the company said.
KGHM said the tremor that took place at 2009 GMT on Tuesday was very strong and caused extensive damage. The epicentre of the tremor was situated 1500 metres below the surface and had a magnitude of 3.4, state news agency PAP reported.
Rescuers said they could see two of the missing miners, but were unable to confirm whether they were alive.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None