- Title: Brazilian soccer fans fill club stadium in vigil for Chapecoense team
- Date: 1st December 2016
- Summary: VARIOUS OF CEREMONY, FANS CRYING
- Embargoed: 16th December 2016 01:43
- Keywords: Chapecoense Chapeco soccer Brazil crash Colombia
- Location: CHAPECO, BRAZIL
- City: CHAPECO, BRAZIL
- Country: Brazil
- Reuters ID: LVA0025B1W3T3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Soccer players who didn't travel with Brazil's Chapecoense team on their ill-fated flight to Colombia were at a memorial service in the club's Arena Conda in Chapeco, Brazil on Wednesday (November 30) to honour their late team mates alongside thousands of fans.
Today was the day fans were due to celebrate the side's biggest match in its history against Atletico Nacional in Medellin after the team made it to the Copa Sudamericana final.
But in a bitter twist to a fairy-tale story for Chapecoense, those players left behind are heading memorials for their teammates.
"We never thought such a tragedy could happen, but at the same time, we need to be strong and to try and turn the situation around. It won't be easy because our hearts are in a lot of pain," said team member, Ribaldo.
The plane crashed into a Colombian mountain after it reportedly ran out of fuel, had no electrical power, and was preparing for an emergency landing, according to the pilot's final words.
Only six on board the LAMIA Bolivia charter flight survived, including three of the Chapecoense soccer squad.
The disaster on Monday (November 28) night killed 71 people and sent shock waves round the global soccer world.
"We know that this is a difficult time. We need strength mainly for the families, for the club and now we need to have strength because it is not an easy moment," added team member, Fabian.
Of the players, goalkeeper Jackson Follmann was recovering from the amputation of his right leg, doctors said.
Another player, defender Helio Neto, remained in intensive care with severe trauma to his skull, thorax and lungs.
An homage was also planned on Wednesday (November 30) in Colombia at the stadium in Medellin of Atletico Nacional, which had been due to play Chapecoense in the regional final in the evening.
The Colombian team wants the trophy to be given to Chapecoense in honour of the dead.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.