- Title: USA: FURBY BABIES LAUNCHED IN NEW YORK.
- Date: 31st August 1999
- Summary: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (AUGUST 31, 1999) (REUTERS) GV: AMBULANCE PULLING UP TO MANHATTAN TOY STORE, TOYS 'R US GV/PAN: 'PREGNANT' FURBY BEING RUSHED INSIDE GV: FURBY PACING UP AND DOWN GV/MV: CHILDREN DRESSED AS DOCTORS BRING OUT BABY FURBIES FROM BEHIND CURTAIN (2 SHOTS) CU: (SOUNDBITE) (English) ROGER SHIFFMAN, PRESIDENT TIGER ELECTRONICS SAYING "We wanted something that would be very compelling to fans of Furby, to enjoy and want Furby babies as well. We accomplished that by creating aproduct that has even more vocabulary, more phrases, more interactivity and a different play pattern, and clearly babies. They even know if you are a mummy or daddy and will refer to you as mama or dadda when you're playing with them" MV/CU: ACTORS DRESSED AS NURSES PLAYING AND FEEDING BABY FURBY/ BABY FURBIES ON DISPLAY (5 SHOTS) GV: CLIFFORD ANNICELLI WALKING THROUGH OFFICE CU: (SOUNDBITE (English) CLIFFORD ANNICELLI, MANAGING EDITOR PLAYTHINGS MAGAZINE SAYING "I think the technology has a lot of WOW to it when you first see it, otherwise Furby is endearingly ugly in a way. Its not traditional cute teddy bear, liek a beany baby. Its quirky looking and fun and its sort of unprdeictable" MV/PAN: COUPLE BUYING FIFTEEN BABY FURBIES CU: (SOUNDBITE) (English) LITTLE GIRL WITH BABY FURBY SAYING "I tell him I love him" CU: (SOUNDBITE) (English) FATHER OF TWO BUYING BABY FURBIES SAYING "Well last year I went hunting them for monthsbefore Christmas, some people paid outrageous prices, so I figured I'd buy them now before the prices go up on the black market." MV/PAN: WOMAN BUYING FOUR FURBIES
- Embargoed: 15th September 1999 13:00
- Location: NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Business,General,Quirky
- Reuters ID: LVA4Y8HYFTRSN11IT4OUJ8UQXBXR
- Story Text: Mama and Papa Furby gave birth to sextuplets on Tuesday (August 31) at a New York City toy store.The babies are the latest interactive toy line from Tiger Electronics the makers of last year's big Christmas hit.
A pregnant Furby arrived by ambulance, with sirens sounding at a New York toy store, where Tiger Electronics had set up a makeshift delivery room.
While 'papa' fubry paced outside, children dressed as doctors delivered the latest in the interactive toy line from Tiger.
Furby is the toy with a computer chip inside that allows it to speak and interact with its owner.It was the big seller last Christmas, with some desperate parents paying hundreds of dollars to get their hands on the sold out toy.
This year, Tiger has prouced a set of six children, boys and girls who have more advanced chips inside them.
"We wanted something that would be very compelling to fans of Furby, to enjoy and want Furby babies as well.We accomplished that by creating aproduct that has even more vocabulary, more phrases, more interactivity and a different play pattern, and clearly babies.They even know if you are a mummy or daddy and will refer to you as mama or dadda when you're playing with them" Roger Shiffman, Tiger's President told Reuters Television.
As Clifford Annicelli, managing editor of the toy industry publication 'Playthings' explained, "the technology has a lot of WOW to it when you first see it, otherwise Furby is endearingly ugly in a way.Its not traditional cute teddy bear, liek a beany baby.Its quirky looking and fun and its sort of unpredictable."
Parents were not taking any risks Tuesday, and began buying the tiny 'gremlin' like creatures, hoping to avoid the disappointment and high prices many faced last year, when searching for the Baby Furby's parents.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None