- Title: Relatives of flight MH370 victims look for answers in Madagascar
- Date: 4th December 2016
- Summary: ANTANANARIVO, MADAGASCAR (DECEMBER 4, 2016) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF RELATIVES OF FLIGHT MH370 PASSENGERS MEETING T-SHIRT WITH PRINT READING (English): "PRAY FOR MH370" PAPER ON TABLE READING: "THE SEARCH FOR MH370" INDEPENDENT INVESTIGATOR, BLAINE ALAN GIBSON, AND FAMILY MEMBER OF MISSING PASSENGER, GRACE SUBATHIRAI NATHAN, HOLDING MADAGASCAR MAP
- Embargoed: 19th December 2016 11:50
- Keywords: MH370 search plane missing Madagascar Antananarivo Malaysia Airlines
- Location: ANTANANARIVO, MADAGASCAR
- City: ANTANANARIVO, MADAGASCAR
- Country: Madagascar
- Reuters ID: LVA0015BGWYTJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Relatives of passengers aboard a Malaysia Airlines flight that went missing more than two years ago said on Sunday (December 4) they hoped to persuade governments to expand the search area along the east African coast.
Flight MH370, carrying 239 passengers and crew, disappeared on its way from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing on March 8, 2014, sparking a search in the southern Indian Ocean that entered its 1,000th day on Saturday.
The group arrived in Madagascar on Saturday (December 3) for a week-long search trip.
They said they hoped their visit would help spur the Malaysian, Chinese and Australian governments to collect debris along the continental coast where parts from the aircraft had been found.
"Definitely I will stop searching when I will have a definitive answer. Maybe I will not get it, never but I think we will get it one day," said Ghyslain Wattrelos whose family members were on the missing flight.
Three pieces of debris found on the beaches of Mauritius, Tanzania and the French island of Reunion, have been confirmed to be from MH370.
Investigators are examining several other pieces found in Mozambique and South Africa.
The search is expected to be suspended by the end of the year, when an Australian-led team completes its scouring of a 120,000-sq-km target area.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None