- Title: Merkel regrets but respects Renzi resignation after Italian vote
- Date: 5th December 2016
- Summary: BERLIN, GERMANY (DECEMBER 5, 2016) (REUTERS) MINISTRY SPOKESPERSONS ARRIVE FOR REGULAR GOVERNMENT PRESS CONFERENCE SPOKESMAN FOR GERMAN GOVERNMENT, STEFFEN SEIBERT, CLOSE WIDE PRESS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (German) SPOKESMAN FOR GERMAN GOVERNMENT, STEFFEN SEIBERT, SAYING: "The Chancellor has taken note of the resignation of the Italian Prime Minister with regret. She worked very well and with great trust with Matteo Renzi but of course the democratic decision of Italian voters is to be respected as is the decision of the Prime Minister to announce his resignation as a result of the result." WIDE PRESS CONFERENCE
- Embargoed: 20th December 2016 12:03
- Keywords: Italy referendum resignation Renzi Merkel
- Location: BERLIN, GERMANY
- City: BERLIN, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Reuters ID: LVA0015BLWX1J
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: AUDIO AS INCOMING
German Chancellor Angela Merkel regrets but accepts Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi's decision to resign after his defeat in a referendum on constitutional amendments, her spokesman said on Monday (December 5).
"The Chancellor has taken note of the resignation of the Italian prime Minster with regret. She worked very well and with great trust with Matteo Renzi but of course the democratic decision of Italian voters is to be respected as is the decision of the prime minister," her spokesman Steffen Seibert said.
He also said that the German government will offer a close cooperation in friendship and partnership with the successor government in Italy, "whatever it looks like".
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None