- Title: Thais remember late king Bhumibol on his birthday
- Date: 5th December 2016
- Summary: ****WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** VARIOUS OF PEOPLE STANDING IN SILENCE KING BHUMIBOL PHOTO VARIOUS OF DEPUTY PRIME MINISTER TANASAK PRATIMAPAKORN LIGHTING CANDLES BUDDHA STATUE VARIOUS OF MONKS PRAYING PEOPLE PRAYING FOOD TO BE OFFERED TO MONKS
- Embargoed: 20th December 2016 03:53
- Keywords: Thailand king Bhumibol birthday mourning prayers
- Location: BANGKOK,THAILAND
- City: BANGKOK,THAILAND
- Country: Thailand
- Reuters ID: LVA0025BLWDAD
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Thousands of Thais gathered at the Bhumibol bridge in Bangkok on Monday (December 5) to mark the late king's birthday, a landmark which was a project initiated by the late king in 1995 to reduce traffic in the area.
The ceremony started with 89 seconds of silence marking the age at which King Bhumibol passed away and continued with people singing songs the king composed himself.
People lined up to offer food to 999 monks as a way to make merit and bless those who have passed away according Buddhist beliefs.
"It is a very important opportunity in my life. It is the last thing I can do for the king, our father, because it is very difficult to express my gratitude." said 45-year-old Jib Butrchan.
"I went to the Royal Palace every year (on December 5) to listen to his speech. But this year, he isn't here anymore, I still want to come here to make merit and sing his songs," added 61-year-old Kanjana Malaithong.
King Maha Vajiralongkorn formally ascended the throne on Thursday (December 1).
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None