- Title: Ten migrant bodies found off Libyan coast
- Date: 7th December 2016
- Summary: TAJURA, LIBYA (DECEMBER 7, 2016) (REUTERS) RED CRESCENT VAN PARKED WRITING ON VAN READING IN (English): 'YOUTHS AT LIBYAN RED CRESCENT' VARIOUS OF RED CRESCENT RESCUERS ON COAST RED CRESCENT RESCUERS ON COAST WITH BODY BAGS SEEN ON GROUND RED CRESCENT RESCUER ON SHORE PUTTING MEDICAL GLOVES ON (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) RESCUER, SERAJ AL-TARABLOSY, SAYING: "We got word today from Tajoura that there were bodies of illegal immigrants, and we recovered 10 bodies from Tajoura and there are still tens more to be recovered." VARIOUS OF RED CRESCENT RESCUERS ON SHORE PUTTING MIGRANT BODY INTO BODY BAG VARIOUS OF RED CRESCENT RESCUERS STANDING OVER BODY BAG BODY BAG ON GROUND VARIOUS OF RED CRESCENT RESCUERS ON SPEED BOAT WITH BODY BAG TOP SHOT OF TAJOURA'S COAST VARIOUS OF MIGRANT BODY SEEN WASHED UP ON SHORE VARIOUS OF RED CRESCENT RESCUERS STANDING NEAR MIGRANT BODY WASHED UP ON SHORE ARM OF MIGRANT TAG ON ARM OF MIGRANT BODY VARIOUS OF RESCUERS PLACING BODY IN BODY BAG TAG ON BODY BAG READING IN (English): 011 / 12-7206 RESCUERS PICK UP BODY BAG MOVE IT OUT OF WATER RESCUERS STANDING ON SHORE NEXT TO BODY BAGS BODY BAGS ON GROUND VARIOUS OF BODY BAGS SEEN ON COAST
- Embargoed: 22nd December 2016 17:19
- Keywords: Europe Migrants Libya Africa
- Location: TAJURA, LIBYA
- City: TAJURA, LIBYA
- Country: Libya
- Reuters ID: LVA0015BVYZPJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS GRAPHIC MATERIAL
Red Crescent rescuers recovered ten bodies of migrants off the coast of the Libyan city of Tajoura on Wednesday (December 7), bringing the total to 21 bodies this week alone.
The migrants who are mostly from Africa, travel the Mediterranean in the hope of reaching Europe.
As of Nov. 28, 171,299 boat migrants had reached Italy's shores, compared to the previous record of 170,100 for all of 2014.
Most of the migrants who have reached Italy this year are Africans of various nationalities. Some 36,000 Nigerians have made the trip, about 21 percent of the total, along with 20,000 Eritreans and more than 12,000 from Guinea.
An estimated 4,663 migrants have died in the Mediterranean this year.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None