- Title: Israeli forces kill Palestinian brandishing knife
- Date: 8th December 2016
- Summary: NEAR NABLUS, WEST BANK (DECEMBER 8, 2016) (REUTERS) ISRAELI SECURITY MEN AND VEHICLES AT WEST BANK JUNCTION WHERE ISRAELI TROOPS SHOT DEAD A KNIFE-WIELDING PALESTINIAN SECURITY MAN QUESTIONING DRIVER AT JUNCTION VARIOUS OF BORDER POLICEMEN AT JUNCTION ISRAELI, PALESTINIAN VEHICLES DRIVING THROUGH JUNCTION SECURITY AT SITE
- Embargoed: 23rd December 2016 09:16
- Keywords: system.scripts.Israel Palestinians West Bank Knife Killing Violence
- Location: NEAR NABLUS, WEST BANK
- City: NEAR NABLUS, WEST BANK
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Reuters ID: LVA0015C0WJT3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Israeli paramilitary police officers in the occupied West Bank shot and killed a Palestinian who ran toward them brandishing a knife on Thursday (December 8), police said.
Police spokeswoman Luba Samri said the 18-year-old Palestinian had got off a bus at a main West Bank junction and appeared suspicious to border policemen stationed there.
The Palestinian Health Ministry confirmed the Palestinian had been killed, but had no further details on his identity.
In recent months, there has been a significant ebb in what had been near-daily Palestinian street attacks that began in October 2015. Thirty-three Israelis and two U.S. citizens were killed in knife, car-ramming and gun assaults during the period.
Israeli forces have killed at least 230 Palestinians over the past 14 months. Israel says at least 156 of them were assailants. Others died during clashes and protests.
Palestinians have accused Israeli police and soldiers of using excessive force in many cases, saying assailants could have been stopped or detained without being killed. In several cases, Israel has opened investigations.
Israel says one of the main causes of the violence is incitement by the Palestinian leadership, with young men encouraged to attack Israeli soldiers and civilians.
Palestinian leaders say assailants have acted out of desperation, frustrated by the almost 50-year-old Israeli occupation of the West Bank and annexation of East Jerusalem, territories which the Palestinians want for their own state.
Israel captured those lands in the 1967 Middle East war, and maintains tight restrictions on the movement of Palestinians in some areas, especially West Bank checkpoints that border Israel. The last round of peace talks between the sides collapsed in 2014.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None