- Title: Hospitals overloaded as Indonesia quake death toll rises to 93
- Date: 7th December 2016
- Summary: PIDIE JAYA, ACEH PROVINCE, INDONESIA (DECEMBER 7, 2016) (REUTERS) AMBULANCE DRIVING INTO HOSPITAL MEDICAL PERSONNEL LIFTING INJURED MAN FROM VEHICLE INJURED MAN BEING CARRIED MEDICAL PERSONNEL PUTTING INJURED MAN ON FLOOR NEXT TO OTHER PATIENTS MEDICAL PERSONNEL REARRANGING BLANKET OVER INJURED WOMAN WOMAN WITH HEAD INJURY LYING ON FLOOR NURSE CHECKING PATIENT'S IV MEDICAL PERSONNEL CARRYING INJURED MAN ON MATTRESS INTO HOSPITAL VARIOUS OF MEDICAL PERSONNEL TENDING TO YOUNG MAN QUAKE VICTIM, SULAIMAN (WEARING YELLOW SLEEVELESS SHIRT) SITTING NEXT TO HIS INJURED WIFE SULAIMAN'S WIFE ON HOSPITAL BED (SOUNDBITE) (Bahasa Indonesia) QUAKE VICTIM, SULAIMAN, SAYING: "This is my wife." REPORTER ASKING: "Only you and your wife? What about your children?" "I have no idea, some of them were not at home, they stayed at the boarding school." PEOPLE WALKING IN HOSPITAL CORRIDOR ELDERLY WOMAN WITH HAND INJURY BEING PUSHED PAST ON WHEELCHAIR PEOPLE LOOKING AT RUBBLE RUBBLE PEOPLE LOOKING AS SEARCH AND RESCUE OPERATION CONTINUES VARIOUS OF EXCAVATORS BEING USED TO CLEAR RUBBLE
- Embargoed: 22nd December 2016 11:29
- Keywords: Indonesia hospital patients quake death toll search amvid rescue body earthquake Aceh
- Location: PIDIE JAYA, INDONESIA
- City: PIDIE JAYA, INDONESIA
- Country: Indonesia
- Reuters ID: LVA0015BVXCG5
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A hospital in a quake-hit Indonesian town in Aceh province on Wednesday (December 7) was overloaded with injured people after a strong earthquake killed 93 people.
Patients suffering from broken bones and cuts were treated on mattresses in hospital corridors and hastily-erected disaster tents.
Rescue workers were searching for victims of the magnitude 6.5 tremor in the early hours of the morning.
The Aceh provincial government said in a statement 93 people had died and more than 500 were injured, many seriously.
Many buildings were reduced to rubble, and earth movers were brought in to reach trapped survivors. Authorities believe dozens of people might be under the rubble.
A state of emergency had been declared in Aceh, which sits on the northern tip of Indonesia's Sumatra island.
At least five aftershocks were felt in the hours after the initial quake, the disaster management agency said.
The region suffered massive destruction in 2004 when a 9.2 magnitude quake triggered a tsunami that wiped out entire communities in Indonesia and other countries around the Indian Ocean. Indonesia was the hardest hit, with more than 120,000 people killed in Aceh alone.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None