- Title: Turkey's Erdogan says some killed in Istanbul attack -statement
- Date: 10th December 2016
- Summary: ISTANBUL, TURKEY (DECEMBER 11, 2016) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF BLAST SITE SEEN FROM DISTANCE VARIOUS OF BUSES DAMAGED BY BLAST FORENSICS AT SITE AMBULANCE DRIVING PAST EXTERIOR OF STADIUM DAMAGED BUSES AND FORENSICS WORKERS BUS ON ROAD, AUDIO OF BLAST FROM REPORTED CONTROLLED EXPLOSION ROAD NEAR WHERE CONTROLLED EXPLOSION WAS HEARD EMERGENCY VEHICLES PARKED ON STREET PARKED BUS NEAR SIGN FOR BESIKTAS
- Embargoed: 25th December 2016 23:41
- Keywords: blast bomb Turkey Istanbul Erdogan attack
- Location: ISTANBUL, TURKEY / INTERNET
- City: ISTANBUL, TURKEY / INTERNET
- Country: Turkey
- Reuters ID: LVA0055CAWWUF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Some people were killed and others wounded in explosions outside an Istanbul soccer stadium on Saturday (December 10), an attack which targeted police and civilians and aimed to cause as many casualties as possible, Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan said in a statement early on Sunday (December 11).
"A terrorist attack has been carried out against our security forces and our citizens. It has been understood that the explosions after the Besiktas-Bursaspor football game aimed to maximize casualties. As a result of these attacks unfortunately we have martyrs and wounded," he said.
Two explosions, one thought to have been a suicide bomb, killed 13 people outside a football stadium in Istanbul on Saturday, security sources said, in an attack that appeared to target police hours after a match between two of Turkey's top teams.
Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu said one of the explosions hit directly outside the stadium, while the suspected suicide bomber struck in the adjacent Macka park.
A Reuters journalist near the stadium said a controlled explosion was also later enacted by security forces.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility. Islamic State, Kurdish and far-leftist militants have all carried out bomb attacks in recent years. The NATO member is part of the U.S.-led coalition fighting Islamic State in Syria, and is battling an insurgency by Kurdish militants in its southeast.
Three separate security sources said at least 13 people had been killed but there was no official confirmation of this. Soylu said he would make a statement on the death toll later.
He had earlier said that around 20 people were wounded and that initial indications were that a car bomb targeting a police bus was responsible for one of the blasts.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None