- Title: Aftermath of deadly blast inside Cairo cathedral
- Date: 11th December 2016
- Summary: CAIRO, EGYPT (DECEMBER 11, 2016) (REUTERS) PEOPLE AND POLICE GATHERED IN FRONT OF CATHEDRAL VARIOUS OF SHATTERED CATHEDRAL GLASS WINDOWS AMBULANCES AND PEOPLE IN FRONT OF CATHEDRAL VARIOUS OF SECURITY OFFICERS AND PEOPLE OUTSIDE CATHEDRAL COPTIC CHURCH SECURITY OFFICERS AND PEOPLE OUTSIDE OF CATHEDRAL YELLOW TAPE, AMBULANCE AND PEOPLE OUTSIDE CATHEDRAL OUTSIDE OF CATHEDRAL VARIOUS OF PEOPLE OUTSIDE CATHEDRAL
- Embargoed: 26th December 2016 12:41
- Keywords: Egypt violence bomb blast aftermath Coptic church
- Location: CAIRO, EGYPT
- City: CAIRO, EGYPT
- Country: Egypt
- Reuters ID: LVA0015CFV687
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: An explosion inside Cairo's Coptic cathedral on Sunday (December 11) killed at least 25 people, most of them women, and injured 49, Egypt's state television said.
Security sources told Reuters at least six children were among the dead.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility, however, some supporters of the Islamic State militant group celebrated the attack on social media.
A device containing about 12 kg (26 pounds) of the explosive TNT had denoted on the women's side of the cathedral, the security sources said.
Orthodox Copts, who make up about 10 percent of Egypt's 90 million people, are the Middle East's biggest Christian community. They have long complained of discrimination under successive Egyptian leaders.
Islamists are waging an insurgency led by Islamic State's branch in North Sinai, where hundreds of soldiers and police have been killed. The insurgents have also launched deadly attacks Cairo and other cities.
On Friday, two roadside bombs - one in Cairo and one north of the capital - killed six policemen and wounded six others.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None