- Title: Oil truck fireball kills at least 42 in central Kenya - aid worker
- Date: 11th December 2016
- Summary: NAIVASHA, KENYA (DECEMBER 11, 2016) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF BURNT OUT VEHICLES AT THE SCENE OF ACCIDENT VARIOUS OF NAIVASHA RESIDENTS TALKING TO POLICEMEN AT THE SCENE OF ACCIDENT VARIOUS OF RESIDENTS AT THE ACCIDENT SCENE LOOKING ON VARIOUS OF BURNT VEHICLES PRINCIPAL SECRETARY AT MINISTRY OF TRANSPORT, IRUNGU NYAKERA, AT THE SCENE OF ACCIDENT (SOUNDBITE) (English) PRINCIPAL SECRETARY AT MINISTRY OF TRANSPORT, IRUNGU NYAKERA, SAYING: "The information that we have is that 13 vehicles were involved and so far we have retrieved 33 bodies and about two people have been transferred at Nairobi at Kenyatta hospital." TRAFFIC POLICE OFFICERS TAKING MEASUREMENTS OFFICER WRITING FRONT SEAT OF DAMAGED VEHICLE OFFICER NEAR DAMAGED VEHICLE/TRAFFIC PASSING BY
- Embargoed: 26th December 2016 11:35
- Keywords: Kenya Naivasha accident government truck oil fire
- Location: NAIVASHA, KENYA
- City: NAIVASHA, KENYA
- Country: Kenya
- Reuters ID: LVA0015CFUHQF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:A fireball from an oil lorry engulfed vehicles on one of Kenya's main highways, killing at least 42 people late on Saturday (December 10), a rescue worker at the scene said.
The tanker lorry rammed into vehicles north of the central town of Naivasha then exploded, an official with the National Disaster Management Authority said.
The government gave a lower death toll than 42.
"The information that we have is that 13 vehicles were involved and so far we have retrieved 33 bodies," Irungu Nyakera, Principal Secretary at the Ministry of Transport and Infrastructure, told a news conference at the scene.
An official in Naivasha said 50 people were being treated in several hospitals for burns, eight of them in a serious condition.
In 2009, more than 100 people burned to death near the central town of Molo after a lorry carrying petrol caught fire.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None