- Title: Aleppo residents celebrate liberation from rebel forces - Syria TV
- Date: 12th December 2016
- Summary: ALEPPO, SYRIA (DECEMBER 12, 2016) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF ALEPPO AT NIGHT / AUDIO: GUNFIRE
- Embargoed: 27th December 2016 19:40
- Keywords: Aleppo Syria government rebels liberation Islamic State
- Location: ALEPPO, SYRIA
- City: ALEPPO, SYRIA
- Country: Syria
- Reuters ID: LVA0025CKYMVB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS MATERIAL WHICH WAS ORIGINALLY 4:3
Gunfire could be heard ringing out in Aleppo as night fell on Monday (December 12), as Syria TV showed people celebrating the city's liberation from rebel forces.
A Syrian military source said the army was in the "last moments before declaring victory" in the battle to recapture rebel-held east of Aleppo.
A Reuters journalist in the government-held zone said the bombardment of rebel areas of the city had continued non-stop on Monday, and a civilian trapped there described the situation as resembling "Doomsday".
Rebels withdrew from all districts on the east side of the Aleppo river on Monday afternoon after losing Sheikh Saeed in the south of their pocket in overnight fighting, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.
The rebels' rapidly diminishing enclave had halved in only a few hours and Observatory director Rami Abdulrahman described the battle for Aleppo as having reached its end.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None