- Title: New York City Ballet dancers perform during Cuba's International Ballet Festival.
- Date: 30th October 2016
- Summary: HAVANA, CUBA (OCTOBER 30, 2016) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF NEW YORK CITY BALLET PERFORMING BALLET BEING PERFORMED
- Embargoed: 14th November 2016 23:12
- Keywords: Ashley Bouder ballet International Ballet Festival
- Location: HAVANA, CUBA
- City: HAVANA, CUBA
- Country: Cuba
- Topics: Arts/Culture/Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA0015676343
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: New York City Ballet dancers premiered a new work by choreographer Justin Peck on Sunday (October 30) at the 25th Havana International Ballet Festival.
Ashley Bouder and Joaquin De Luz, principal dancers with the NYC Ballet, performed Peck's Furiant Scherzo at the evening show.
It is just one of the works to be performed by Dance Americana, Peck's group composed of performers from the NYC Ballet and Miami City Ballet, who will also perform Peck's Lord duet and Rodeo: four dance episodes.
Bouder said she was excited to be performing in Cuba, both as an artist and, specifically, as an American.
"I think the festival here is something very, very special. It has a connection with the audience here in Cuba that we don't have in New York. They react differently; they're very warm and welcoming. And for us - for me especially as an American to be performing in Cuba is something very special and something I hope happens more but to be doing it now, with all of the political climate changing, is very important and a very cool time to be here in Cuba," she said.
Bouder, originally from Pennsylvania, joined the New York City Ballet's corps de ballet in 2000 and became a principal dancer in 2004.
She has since starred in over 75 productions with the renowned ballet that was originally founded by George Balanchine.
De Luz is a 40-year-old Spaniard who joined the New York City Ballet in 2003 and was promoted to principal in 2005.
Seven U.S. companies, including the Martha Graham Dance Company, are attending the biannual festival this year which is being held from October 28 to November 6.
Dancers from 16 countries are participating in the event that is being held at three of Havana's theaters including the Mella, Alicia Alonso Gran Teatro and the Nacional.
Cuban ballet has fused the best from the Russians, French, Italians, English and Americans with Latino flair and Afro-Cuban sensuality, and exported some top international names in the art, such as London's Royal Ballet principal, Carlos Acosta.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.