- Title: Castro supporters sign condolence book in Madrid
- Date: 28th November 2016
- Summary: VARIOUS OF OFFICIALS SIGNING BOOK CUBAN FLAG WITH BLACK RIBBON VIETNAM MILITARY HAT VIETNAM'S COLONEL MAJOR TA VAN PHANG, COLONEL MAJOR TRAN HONG HOA AND MAJOR BUI XUAN PHONG MAKING MILITARY GREETING TO CASTRO'S PICTURE OFFICIALS COMING OUT FROM CUBAN EMBASSY VARIOUS OF PEOPLE SIGNING BOOK CUBAN FLAG WITH BLACK RIBBON, MAN SIGNING VARIOUS OF PEOPLE SIGNING BOOK
- Embargoed: 13th December 2016 14:05
- Keywords: Cuba Embassy Madrid Fidel Castro Condolence Book
- Location: MADRID, SPAIN
- City: MADRID, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0035ACZJ9J
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Cubans, supporters of Fidel Castro and foreign representatives gathered at the Cuban embassy in Madrid on Monday (November 28) to sign Fidel Castro's condolence book.
Castro died on Friday (November 25) at the age of 90, a decade after stepping down due to poor health and ceding power to his brother Raul Castro.
Among the mourners was Cuban Juan de Dios Medina Vazquez, who has been living in Madrid for two months. He said critics of the late Cuban leaders were "traitors".
Spain is Cuba's third largest trading partner and the largest European investor in the country, its former colony.
Castro was cremated on Saturday (November 28) and a nine-day period of mourning declared. His ashes will be carried in a cortege to a final resting place in Santiago de Cuba, the city in eastern Cuba where he launched a leftist revolution in 1959.
Spain upset Cuba in 1996 by orchestrating the "common position" making human rights and democracy conditions for improved economic relations.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None