- Title: Femen stages topless protest against EU visas for Ukrainians
- Date: 24th November 2016
- Summary: KIEV, UKRAINE (NOVEMBER 24, 2016) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS NUDITY*** FEMEN ACTIVISTS WALKING TOWARDS GERMAN EMBASSY, ONE GETTING UNDRESSED AND SMASHING FRAGMENT OF BERLIN WALL ON DISPLAY WITH HAMMER VARIOUS OF FEMEN ACTIVIST, ANZHELINA DIAZH, SMASHING WALL WITH HAMMER EMBASSY EMPLOYEES WALKING OUT, ONE ADDRESSING DIAZH AS SHE SMASHES WALL WITH HAMMER DIAZH HURLING HAMMER AT WALL, OTHER FEMEN ACTIVISTS PUTTING COAT ON HER, WALKING AWAY
- Embargoed: 9th December 2016 10:29
- Keywords: Ukraine Kiev Femen topless protest Germany EU summit
- Location: KIEV, UKRAINE
- City: KIEV, UKRAINE
- Country: Ukraine
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA00159T1ID5
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS NUDITY
Ukrainian Femen activist appeared on Thursday (November 24) outside the German embassy in Kiev to conduct a bare-breasted protest.
Activist Anzhelina Diazh, bearing phrases 'Break the walls' on her back and "Ukraine to EU" on her torso, smashed with sledgehammer a fragment of the Berlin wall on display in front of the building. Diazh said her protest symbolized the fight against artificial obstacles on Ukraine's way towards the European Union.
"Femen is against artificial walls on the way to Europe. We strive for a civilised world. And until people create various walls on our way, we will break them," Diazh said.
The protest coincided with an EU-Ukraine summit in Brussels with the participation of Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko.
The EU will consider the issue of granting visa-free travel to Ukraine, in which it has dragged its feet, mainly due to hesitation from Germany and France, which both face elections next year in which increasing anti-immigration feeling will be a burning issue.
Established in 2008 by a group of Kiev university students, Femen says its main aims are to improve the role of women in Ukraine's male-dominated, post-Soviet society.
Femen is an international women's movement which uses topless protests to denounce what it calls economic, cultural and ideological domination by men. It says on its website that its 'sextremist' activists are trained at centers in Ukraine and France.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None