- Title: Chinese President sends condolences to Cuba after Fidel Castro's death
- Date: 27th November 2016
- Summary: BEIJING, CHINA (FILE - FEBRUARY 27, 2003) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) (REUTERS) ****WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** LATE FORMER CUBAN PRESIDENT FIDEL CASTRO WALKING TO FORMER CHINESE PRESIDENT HU JINTAO SHAKING HANDS AND GREETING CASTRO AND HU POSING FOR PHOTOS CASTRO AND HU SITTING FOR MEETING HU SPEAKING CASTRO SPEAKING CASTRO AND HU SEATED MEETING IN PROGRESS CASTRO WALKING TO FORMER CHINESE PREMIER ZHU RONGJI, SHAKING HANDS CASTRO AND ZHU GREETING EACH OTHER, SHAKING HANDS AND POSING FOR PHOTOS
- Embargoed: 12th December 2016 04:38
- Keywords: Fidel Castro Beijing president Xi Jinping condonlence Hu Jintao Zhu Rong-ji
- Location: BEIJING, CHINA
- City: BEIJING, CHINA
- Country: China
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0025A7XHZB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS MATERIAL WHICH WAS ORIGINALLY 4:3
Chinese President and Communist Party chief Xi Jinping conveyed condolences to Cuba on Saturday (November 26) after former leader Fidel Castro passed away, state media reported.
"Comrade Fidel Castro is the founder of Cuba's Communist Party and Cuba's communism cause, is the great leader for Cuban people. He devoted all his life to Cuban people's striving for national liberty, protecting national sovereignty, constructing Communism cause. He also made immortal historical contributions for international communism development," said a CCTV presenter, reading Xi's message.
"Xi Jinping pointed out that Comrade Fidel Castro was committed to the friendship between China and Cuba. Since the establishment of diplomatic ties for 56 years, relationship between China and Cuba has made impressive progress, which is closely attributed to his care and attention. The Chinese people lost a close comrade and a sincere friend after he died. His glorified figure and his great achievement will always be remembered in history. Great Comrade Fidel Castro will always be remembered," the presenter said.
Fidel Castro visited China in 1995 and 2003, CCTV said.
The two important Communist allies have shared a close relationship since 1960, when Cuba became the first Latin American government to establish diplomatic relations with communist China.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None