- Title: Los Angeles homeless enjoy Thanksgiving feast on Skid Row
- Date: 23rd November 2016
- Summary: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (NOVEMBER 23, 2016) (REUTERS) HOMELESS AND VOLUNTEERS GATHERED FOR THANKSGIVING MEAL AT LOS ANGELES MISSION IN SKID ROW
- Embargoed: 8th December 2016 21:37
- Keywords: Homeless Los Angeles
- Location: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES
- City: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents
- Reuters ID: LVA00159O387T
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Some 3,500 members of Los Angeles' homeless community gathered on Wednesday (November 23) for a traditional Thanksgiving lunch that included roast turkey, mashed potatoes and collard greens.
The annual meal held on Los Angeles' Skid Row, has been a staple in the downtown area for over two decades.
The head of the Los Angeles Mission, Herb Smith, said the event offers more than a free meal for the needy and the homeless community.
"Our goal is not just to serve a meal but we say hope begins with a meal and we want people to know there are services. They can come in, they can get showers, the can get counseling, case management, we can help them with recovery programs, education, job training and ultimately housing because we want them to get off the streets and to be independent and be able to care for themselves," he said.
The Los Angeles Mission has served the people of Skid Row for over 35 years, providing emergency services such as shelter, food, clothing, as well as professional medical and dental services.
But on Wednesday, it was the Thanksgiving meal that everyone was interested in.
"I think that was a very good meal. It's a blessing, they do it all the time and I come, get me a meal and it's a blessing. It's very good," said Lovie, a homeless resident of Los Angeles.
"It's very nice of you guys to help the homeless and help us with our dinner and everything," added Yolanda, another homeless resident of the city.
"The meal was great and they do this every year, it's a good place to get full and they feed you really well," said Carlos, another homeless resident.
Los Angeles' homeless population is estimated at about 44,000, with many of them concentrated in a bleak and chaotic square-mile patch of downtown known as Skid Row.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.