- Title: Israeli wildfires: more residents evacuated, U.S. sends 747 firefighting airplane
- Date: 25th November 2016
- Summary: NATAF, ISRAEL (NOVEMBER 25, 2016) (REUTERS) CARS DRIVE DOWN ROAD, FIRE TRUCK DRIVES UP FIREFIGHTER, FIRE BURNING VARIOUS OF FIRE BURNING IN WOODS AROUND THE COMMUNITY PLANE FLYING ABOVE BURNING WOODS (NIGHT SHOTS) VARIOUS OF FIRE BURNING IN WOODS, FIREFIGHTERS MONITORING
- Embargoed: 10th December 2016 19:25
- Keywords: Fires Nataf Jerusalem Israel residents homes evacuation
- Location: NATAF AND BEN GURION AIRPORT, ISRAEL
- City: NATAF AND BEN GURION AIRPORT, ISRAEL
- Country: Israel
- Topics: Environment,Weather
- Reuters ID: LVA00159Y2AMF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Israeli forces, backed by international emergency teams, battled wildfires in the community of Nataf near Jerusalem on Friday (November 25), after massive wildfires tore through central and northern Israel.
Israeli border police conducted evening door-to-door house searches on Friday evening to check residents had evacuated their homes, police video showed.
A restaurant in Nataf burned to the ground, Israeli firefighter video showed.
Earlier on Friday, firefighters battled the flames in wooded hills around Jerusalem and in northern areas with support from Palestinian firemen and emergency teams from Greece, Cyprus, Croatia, Italy, Russia and Turkey.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Friday he had also accepted offers of help from Egypt and Jordan.
A U.S. 'Supertanker' airplane arrived in Israel on Friday evening to help in the effort.
The Boeing 747-400 Supertanker is considered the most advanced firefighting aircraft in the world.
Earlier on Friday, Israeli police arrested 13 people on Friday on suspicion of arson, authorities said.
Netanyahu said "terrorism" was behind some of the outbreaks.
Unseasonably dry weather and easterly winds helped kindle the fires, which erupted on Tuesday and now stretch across half the country.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None