- Title: More than 600 boat migrants arrive in Italy
- Date: 24th November 2016
- Summary: CATANIA, ITALY (NOVEMBER 24, 2016) (REUTERS) RESCUE VESSEL "AQUARIUS" OF THE HUMANITARIAN GROUP SOS MEDITERRANEE DOCKING IN PORT WITH RESCUED MIGRANTS ON DECK MIGRANTS ON DECK LOOKING ON AS SHIP DOCKS IN PORT VARIOUS OF MIGRANTS WITH TOWELS WRAPPED AROUND THEIR HEADS ON DECK LOOKING ON MIGRANTS ON DECK WITH CITY IN BACKGROUND SHIP IN PORT WITH MIGRANTS ON DECK VARIOUS OF MIGRANTS WITH TOWELS ON THEIR HEADS LOOKING ON FROM DECK MIGRANTS DISEMBARKING MIGRANTS ON DECK LOOKING ON FEMALE MIGRANT HOLDING YOUNG BABY ON QUAYSIDE MIGRANTS BY TEMPORARY SHELTERS IN PORT MIGRANTS WITH CHILDREN LINED UP FOR HEALTH AND IDENTIFICATION CHECKS MIGRANTS ON DECK WAITING TO DISEMBARK SHIP MIGRANTS WALKING TOWARDS RED CROSS SHELTER VARIOUS OF MIGRANTS LINED UP ON QUAYSIDE MIGRANTS WALKING IN PORT VARIOUS OF MIGRANTS ON DECK LOOKING ON AS OTHERS DISEMBARK MIGRANTS WITH TOWELS WRAPPED AROUND THEIR HEADS ON DECK LOOKING ON SHIP DOCKED IN PORT WITH MIGRANTS ON DECK VARIOUS OF MIGRANTS LINED UP OUTSIDE RED CROSS SHELTER EMERGENCY WORKER GIVING DIRECTIONS TO MIGRANT ON QUAYSIDE SHIP IN PORT MIGRANTS ON DECK LOOKING ON SHIP IN PORT WITH MIGRANTS ON DECK
- Embargoed: 9th December 2016 10:31
- Keywords: migrants arrivals Italy Sicily Catania Aquarius
- Location: CATANIA, ITALY
- City: CATANIA, ITALY
- Country: Italy
- Topics: Asylum/Immigration/Refugees,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA00159SZV47
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The rescue vessel "Aquarius" of the humanitarian group SOS Mediterranee on Thursday (November 24) morning docked in the port of Catania, Sicily, carrying a total of 641 migrants rescued from boats at sea.
The migrants, many of them dressed in track suits with towels wrapped around their heads, looked on from the deck as they waited for their turn to walk down the gang plank.
In the port temporary shelters were set up for standard health and identification procedures.
All of the 641 migrants were rescued from boats off the coast of Libya on Tuesday (November 22), SOS Mediterranee said in a tweet.
No details of the migrants' nationalities, age or health condition were immediately available.
More than 168,000 migrants have reached Italy by boat this year, exceeding 154,000 for the whole of 2015 and quickly approaching 2014's 170,000 record.
Italy has borne the brunt of new arrivals since the implementation in March of an agreement between the European Union and Turkey to curb the flow of migrants sailing for Greece.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None