- Title: EU Parliament speaker Schulz announces return to German politics
- Date: 24th November 2016
- Summary: BERLIN, GERMANY (FILE - MAY 12, 2016) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** MEDIA EU COMMISSION PRESIDENT JEAN-CLAUDE JUNCKER, GERMAN CHANCELLOR ANGELA MERKEL AND SCHULZ POSING FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS
- Embargoed: 9th December 2016 09:18
- Keywords: Schulz European Parliament president SPD Bundestag Germany
- Location: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM, BERLIN & DUESSELDORF, GERMANY
- City: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM, BERLIN & DUESSELDORF, GERMANY
- Country: Belgium
- Topics: European Union,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA00259SZKUF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: European Parliament President Martin Schulz said on Thursday (November 24) he would not seek a new mandate and is returning to German national politics to seek election to the federal parliament in Berlin next year.
"Over the last month there has been a lot of speculation in the press about my future. I have now made that decision. I will not run as the president of the European Parliament for a third term. Next year I will run for the German Bundestag as the head of the list of my party the SPD North Rhine-Westphalia. It was not an easy decision as it is an honour to be president of the European Parliament, and I'm very thankful for the opportunity," Schulz said at a news conference in Brussels.
Schulz, a Social Democrat, gave no further details at a news conference on whether he might seek the post of foreign minister or run as a candidate to succeed conservative Chancellor Angela Merkel in a parliamentary election due in September.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None