- Title: Nicaragua braces as storm Otto barrels down
- Date: 24th November 2016
- Summary: BLUEFIELDS, NICARAGUA (NOVEMBER 23, 2016) (REUTERS) BOAT DOCKED VARIOUS OF MEN SITTING ON DOCKED BOAT VARIOUS OF PEOPLE IN SHELTERED AREA NEAR COAST MAP OF COASTAL AREA OF NICARAGUA MORE OF PEOPLE IN SHELTERED AREA (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) RESIDENT, JOSEPH VANS, SAYING: "There are still people who survived the hurricane. There are the elderly who saw how this hurricane affected the Atlantic coast. And until today, due to God, we have overcome the affects left behind by Hurricane Joan." VARIOUS OF RESIDENTS BATTERING UP WINDOWS
- Embargoed: 9th December 2016 01:25
- Keywords: Nicaragua tropical storm hurricane Otto
- Location: BLUEFIELDS, NICARAGUA
- City: BLUEFIELDS, NICARAGUA
- Country: Nicaragua
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Wind/Hurricane/Typhoons/Tornadoes
- Reuters ID: LVA00159SXV7R
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Boats were docked in Nicaragua on Wednesday (November 23) as a strengthening Otto churned its way to the Central American nation, regaining hurricane strength as it closes in on the fishing village of Bluefields.
The system, packing maximum sustained winds of 110 km/hour (75 miles per hour) is moving toward the west near 13 km/h (8 mph), the National Hurricane Centre (NHC) reported.
Residents in islands off Nicaragua have been moved to the mainland where they are waiting out the hurricane in a sheltered area near a pier in Bluefields.
Some locals in the area remain fearful of hurricanes after 1988 when Hurricane Joan tore through the country, killing over 200 people in Central America and destroying 23,000 homes in Nicaragua alone.
"There are still people who survived the hurricane. There are the elderly who saw how this hurricane affected the Atlantic coast. And until today, due to God, we have overcome the affects left behind by Hurricane Joan," said local, Joseph Vans.
Otto is forecast to make landfall on Thursday (November 24) morning before reaching the Pacific coast of southern Nicaragua or northern Costa Rica on Friday (November 25), the NHC reported.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None