- Title: Merkel gets ready for Christmas with chancellery fir trees
- Date: 23rd November 2016
- Summary: PEOPLE LISTENING (SOUNDBITE) (German) GERMAN CHANCELLOR, ANGELA MERKEL, SAYING: "This is the fir tree for the main courtyard, but of course it is also a symbol for what you Mr. Guttenberg have described for forest owners: sustainable cultivation and responsibility passed down from generation to generation." PEOPLE LISTENING MERKEL SHAKING HANDS, LEAVING
- Embargoed: 8th December 2016 17:28
- Keywords: Angela Merkel Christmas tree chancellery
- Location: BERLIN, GERMANY
- City: BERLIN, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Human Interest/Brights/Odd News,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA00359NYLHJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:German Chancellor Angela Merkel helped get her office ready for the Christmas period on Wednesday (November 23) when she was presented with three fir trees to decorate the chancellery in Berlin.
Traditionally, the trees come from a different region each year. This year's trees were grown in Rhineland-Palatinate, Schleswig-Holstein and Saarland.
The largest of the three, placed in front of the chancellery and standing 15 metres high, is around 40-years-old. It was illuminated by some 6,000 energy-efficient LEDs and was donated by the Groening family, the municipality of Boppard and the forest owners' association of Rhineland-Palatinate.
It was the eleventh time Merkel has received the Christmas trees as chancellor.
On Sunday (November 20), she announced she would seek a fourth term in next year's election.
Germany has no limit on the number of terms a chancellor can serve. If Merkel wins again, she could end up matching the 16 years in office of her former mentor, Helmut Kohl.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None