- Title: Australian officials visit teenager detained for drug possession in Indonesia
- Date: 23rd November 2016
- Summary: BALI, INDONESIA (NOVEMBER 23, 2016) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** EXTERIOR OF KUTA DISTRICT POLICE HEADQUARTERS UNIDENTIFIED STAFF MEMBER FROM AUSTRALIAN CONSULATE WALKING INTO POLICE STATION CONSULATE STAFF TALKING TO POLICE AT RECEPTION POLICE ESCORTING AUSTRALIAN TEENAGER TO INTERVIEW ROOM ANOTHER UNIDENTIFIED STAFF MEMBER FROM AUSTRALIAN CONSULATE WALKING INTO POLICE STATION CONSULATE STAFF SITTING DOWN IN WAITING ROOM
- Embargoed: 8th December 2016 06:36
- Keywords: Indonesia Australia teenager police detention white powder
- Location: BALI, INDONESIA
- City: BALI, INDONESIA
- Country: Indonesia
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice
- Reuters ID: LVA00159NZD53
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Australian consular officials visited a teenager detained in Indonesia on suspicion of drug possession on Wednesday (November 23).
The 18-year-old was detained in the early hours of Tuesday (November 22) on the resort island of Bali after he was found holding a small quantity of white powder, police said.
He has not been named as a suspect as police were still waiting for forensic test results.
Under Indonesian law, a conviction for possession of less than 5 grams of prohibited drugs carries a maximum 12-year prison sentence.
Anyone convicted of possessing more than 5 grams of banned drugs faces the death penalty.
The detention of the Australian teenager comes nearly two years after two Australian citizens were executed for offences, souring diplomatic ties between the two nations.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None