- Title: Australian detained in Bali over suspected drug possession
- Date: 22nd November 2016
- Summary: BALI, INDONESIA (NOVEMBER 22, 2016) (REUTERS) MEDIA RUNNING TOWARDS A CAR CARRYING 18-YEAR-OLD AUSTRALIAN JAMIE MURPHY, WHO IS DETAINED FOR SUSPECTED DRUG POSSESSION CAR REVERSING VARIOUS OF POLICE ESCORTING MURPHY INTO FORENSIC LAB VARIOUS OF MURPHY WALKING (SOUNDBITE) (English) KUTA DISTRICT POLICE CHIEF, WAYAN SUMARA SAYING: "I don't say that it is a drug, I just check first through forensic laboratory in Denpasar. Please remember what I told you know, I don't give a statement that it is drug." VARIOUS OF MURPHY WALKING EXTERIOR OF KUTA DISTRICT POLICE HEADQUARTERS
- Embargoed: 7th December 2016 10:23
- Keywords: Indonesia Bali police Australian detain suspect drugs
- Location: BALI, INDONESIA
- City: BALI, INDONESIA
- Country: Australia
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice
- Reuters ID: LVA00159J0QBP
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: An 18-year-old Australian was detained in Indonesia on Tuesday (November 22) over suspected drug possession, police said.
Perth native, Jamie Murphy, was in the resort island of Bali to celebrate schoolies week.
"Schoolies" week is a three-week graduation holiday for Australian students who have finished year 12.
He was barred from entering Skygarden, a nightclub in famous Kuta area, after security found a pack of "white powder" in his money belt and handed him over to local police.
Kuta district police chief Wayan Sumara was cautious when asked by reporters what was the "white powder", saying that it will be confirmed once lab results are out.
"I don't say that it is a drug, I just check first through forensic laboratory in Denpasar. Please remember what I told you know, I don't give a statement that it is drug," he said.
The detainee has to be remanded until the lab result are out, which could take weeks.
Under Indonesian law, anyone convicted on drug possession or misuse of drugs could face from four to 12 years in prison.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None