- Title: Spanish police arrests financial mastermind in Petrobras probe
- Date: 22nd November 2016
- Summary: RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL (FILE) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF THE EXTERIOR OF THE PETROBRAS BUILDING VARIOUS OF PETROBRAS LABORATORIES VARIOUS OF PETROBRAS OFFSHORE DRILLING FACILITY
- Embargoed: 7th December 2016 15:46
- Keywords: Petrobras Arrest Police Car Wash Lavajato
- Location: MADRID, SPAIN / RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL
- City: MADRID, SPAIN / RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Crime
- Reuters ID: LVA00259J1D8J
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Spanish police have arrested a man they called the "financial mastermind" behind a corruption scheme at Brazil's semi-public oil company Petrobras, the Interior Ministry said on Tuesday (November 22).
The man, 43, is of dual Brazilian and Spanish nationality and has been in hiding since April, the ministry said.
Named only as RTD, the accused is under investigation in Brazil for money laundering related to a 14-million-euro ($15 million) bribe allegedly paid to several political parties.
Petrobras is Brazil´s biggest ever corruption case implicating dozens of politicians and businessmen in allegations of bribes and political kickbacks that triggered protests across Brazil.
This is the first arrest in Spain in connection with Operation Car Wash, a sweeping probe into corruption which has identified billions of reais in bribes linked to contracts at state-run enterprises and federal ministries.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None