- Title: Prince Harry turns down dance at PM’s reception
- Date: 22nd November 2016
- Summary: PRINCE HARRY WALKING ONSTAGE VARIOUS OF PRINCE HARRY LISTENING (SOUNDBITE) (English) GASTON BROWNE, PRIME MINISTER, SAYING: "My task tonight is a very easy one, and that is to welcome Prince Henry of Wales, affectionately known as Prince Harry, to the beautiful shores of Antigua and Barbuda." WOMEN LISTENING ONSTAGE (SOUNDBITE) (English) GASTON BROWNE, PRIME MINISTER, SAYING: "And we hope that your tour of duty here in the Caribbean will be a most successful one and again we hope that you will enjoy your evening here, and I'm sure you'll have the opportunity to do a little whining. By the way, whatever happens here stays here. So again welcome and enjoy your evening. Thank you very much, your excellency." VARIOUS OF BROWNE PRESENTING PRINCE HARRY WITH A GIFT
- Embargoed: 7th December 2016 02:39
- Keywords: Prince Harry Antigua Prince Harry Caribbean trip charities dancing Royals
- Location: ST. JOHN’S, ANTIGUA AND BARBUDA
- City: ST. JOHN’S, ANTIGUA AND BARBUDA
- Country: USA
- Topics: Celebrities,Arts/Culture/Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA00259IYBEV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Prince Harry finished his second day in the Caribbean on Monday (November 21) with a reception in Antigua and Barbuda held by Prime Minister Gaston Browne, during which the British Royal appeared to turn down an opportunity to dance onstage.
The prime minister also appeared to joke about Prince Harry enjoying the opportunity to meet some of the island's women.
"And we hope that your tour of duty here in the Caribbean will be a most successful one and again we hope that you will enjoy your evening here. By the way, whatever happens here stays here," Browne said.
Harry's relationship with actress Meghan Markle has been under the spotlight leading up to the trip. He had to issue a statement this month, condemning the media for intruding into the private life of his American girlfriend, saying the press had subjected her to "a wave of abuse and harassment".
British newspapers have been running daily stories about Markle since it emerged at the end of October that the 35-year-old actress had been "secretly" dating the prince, 32, the grandson of Queen Elizabeth, for several months.
At the reception, Browne presented Prince Harry with an image of the island's Clarence House, which was recommissioned by Harry.
Prince Harry spent the rest of the evening chatting with Browne and other officials.
A local soca singer tried to get the prince to dance but was not successful. A jovial Browne jumped up and danced instead.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None