- Title: Thousands run through Havana in 'Marabana' marathon
- Date: 20th November 2016
- Summary: (SOUNDBITE) (English) RUNNER FROM THE UNITED STATES CLAIRE MACNAMUS SAYING: "(My) First time in Cuba. I ran the 10k and it was and it was quite hot, it felt warm, even though the sun wasn't out. But there were lots of people so it was good fun, great fun."
- Embargoed: 5th December 2016 15:43
- Keywords: Cuba Havana marathon runners finish
- Location: HAVANA, CUBA
- City: HAVANA, CUBA
- Country: Cuba
- Topics: Marathon,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0065990ITF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Thousands of runners participated on Sunday (November 20) in Havana's 30th edition n of the Marabana marathon, a record for the event.
Over 5,000 competitors from 113 countries participated.
"We have 5,037 runners at this moment. We have 1,953 international runners from 113 countries and from that, 70 have travelled specifically to take part in the event," Carlos Gattorno, the director of the marathon, said.
The race, which began in front of Cuba's famed National Capitol Building, included local Cuban runners as well as runners from the United States, Germany, France, Mexico, Spain and Scotland.
"It's beautiful, very beautiful. The Malecon is great, got a nice a nice breeze, behind on the way out and then on the front on the way back," Scottish runner Nicholas Reid said.
"(My) First time in Cuba. I ran the 10k and it was quite hot, it felt warm, even though the sun wasn't out. But there were lots of people so it was good fun, great fun," U.S. runner Claire Macnamus said.
The marathon route took participants past many of Havana's iconic sites, such as the Malecon, Revolution Square, Parque Central and the city's famed Hotel Nacional.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None