- Title: Pro- South Korean president rally takes place in Seoul
- Date: 19th November 2016
- Summary: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA (NOVEMBER 19, 2016) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS CHANTING WHILE HOLDING POSTERS AND SOUTH KOREAN NATIONAL FLAG LETTERS ON POSTER READING (Korean): "I LOVE YOU PRESIDENT" PROTESTER SPEAKING ON OUTDOOR STAGE AND PROTESTERS (LEFT) HOLDING SOUTH KOREAN NATIONAL FLAG VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS CHANTING WHILE HOLDING POSTERS AND SOUTH KOREAN NATIONAL FLAG PROTESTERS HOLDING BANNER READING (Korean): "NO ONE IS A BETTER PRESIDENT THAN PARK GEUN-HYE" PROTESTERS CHANTING WHILE HOLDING POSTERS AND SOUTH KOREAN NATIONAL FLAG (SOUNDBITE) (Korean) FOUNDER AND PRESIDENT OF 'PARKSAMO', CHUNG KWANG-YONG, SAYING: "A president shouldn't step down just because people demand the president to resign or because of some false information and rumours that have been told; everything should work according to the law and constitution." PROTESTER AGAINST SOUTH KOREAN PRESIDENT, PARK GEUN-HYE, CHANTING, DEMANDING RESIGNATION, AND SUPPORTER OF PARK GRABBING STRAP ON BAG AND HIS BACK PROTESTER AGAINST PARK BEING SURROUNDED BY SUPPORTERS OF PARK PROTESTERS HOLDING AND WAVING SOUTH KOREAN NATIONAL FLAGS AND BANNER READING (Korean): "OPPOSE RESIGNATION (RED COLOURED) PROTECT SEPARATION OF THREE POWERS AND CONSTITUTION (BLUE COLOURED" GIRL HOLDING SOUTH KOREAN NATIONAL FLAG PROTESTER HOLDING SOUTH KOREAN NATIONAL FLAG, RUNNING WHILE WEARING POSTER READING (Korean): "GO PRESIDENT PARK GEUN-HYE! WE LOVE YOU"
- Embargoed: 4th December 2016 07:55
- Keywords: Park Geun-hye Seoul President rally protest
- Location: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA
- City: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA
- Country: South Korea
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001593ZZ9H
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A massive rally supporting South Korean President Park Geun-hye took place in downtown Seoul on Saturday (November 19).
Conservative groups including a fan club of South Korean President Park Geun-hye 'Parksamo' gathered in front of Seoul Train Station to oppose the resignation of president Park. They held up placards reading "I love you, president (Park)" and "we oppose the forced resignation."
Police estimated that around 11,000 people attended as the organizer said about 60,000 people gathered for the rally.
There was a small scuffle when an anti-Park protester appeared at the rally but no injuries were reported.
"A president shouldn't step down just because people demand the president to resign or because of some false information and rumours that have been told; everything should work according to the law and constitution," said Founder and President of 'Parksamo', Chung Kwang-yong.
'Parksamo', which is an acronym for 'gathering of people who love Park Geun-hye' in Korean, is a group currently with over 74,000 members.
The group was organized on March 30, 2004, to show love and support for Park Geun-hye, Chung said.
Park has been rocked by a scandal involving an old friend who is alleged to have used her closeness to the president to meddle in state affairs.
Her approval rating has slipped to just 5 percent according to a Gallup Korea poll released on Friday (November 4), the lowest number for a South Korean president since such polling began in 1988.
The fourth weekend protest against Park calling on her to step down is set to begin this afternoon.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None