- Title: At least four dead, 12 trapped after Turkish copper mine hit by landslide
- Date: 18th November 2016
- Summary: SIRVAN, TURKEY (NOVEMBER 18, 2016) (REUTERS) TOP VIEW OF OPEN MINE SITE WHERE LANDSLIDE HIT RESCUERS WORKING ON MINE TERRACES EXCAVATORS ON MINE TERRACES MINING MACHINERY BURIED UNDER MUD VARIOUS OF LANDSLIDE RESCUERS ON MINE TERRACE LANDSLIDE FAMILY MEMBERS, RESIDENTS AT RESCUE CAMP PEOPLE WATCHING TOP VIEW OF MINE SITE OF LANDSLIDE ACCESS ROAD TO MINE RESCUE CAMP
- Embargoed: 3rd December 2016 14:41
- Keywords: Turkey mine landslide miners
- Location: SIRVAN, TURKEY
- Reuters ID: LVA00158Z2WJR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Rescue teams sought to free 12 workers trapped in a copper mine in southeast Turkey on Friday (November 18) after it was hit by a landslide that killed at least four people, the local governor's office said.
The mine's owner, Park Elektrik, said heavy rain appeared to have caused the landslide at the Madenkoy mine, in the Sirvan district of Siirt province.
All activity at the mine has been suspended given the risk of further landslides, the company said in a statement to the Istanbul stock exchange.
Workplace accidents are not rare in Turkey. Its rapid growth over the past decade has seen a construction boom and a scramble to meet soaring energy and commodities demand, with worker safety standards often failing to keep pace.
Its safety record in mining, particularly coal, has been poor for decades, with its worst accident in May 2014 when an explosion killed 301 workers in the western town of Soma.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None