- Title: Carnival season kicks off in Germany
- Date: 11th November 2016
- Summary: VARIOUS OF CROWD SINGING, SWINGING AND SWAYING
- Embargoed: 26th November 2016 11:42
- Keywords: Cologne carnival
- Location: COLOGNE, GERMANY
- City: COLOGNE, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Human Interest/Brights/Odd News,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA0045802HCP
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Germany got into the party spirit on Wednesday (November 11) in Cologne, with annual celebrations marking the start of the carnival season.
Every year, on the 11th of November, at 11 minutes past 11 o' clock, thousands of carnival revellers gather to kick off the festival, one of the biggest in all of Europe.
Cologne is at the centre of carnival celebrations, staging the biggest and most famous events, attracting visitors also from afar.
"What a feeling, the heart beats fast and everyone should experience this," carnival-goer Amber Roesken said after performers had given the start sign for the party.
"We especially came from Freiburg in Breisgau, now in the tenth year. And every year it's a different costume. Carnival, that's something, which you actually only find here. This attitude to life, young and old partying together. Everything is just harmonious and peaceful. This is unique in Germany," another party reveller said, sporting lion as headgear. It's traditional during carnival to wear clown and jester costumes, one of the reasons why the celebration is also called "the foolish season".
With a cry of the traditional carnival greeting: "Alaaf!", guests threw themselves into festivities including on-stage performances of comedy and live music.
The festival initially launches for a week, then customarily takes a break for the Christmas period before picking up again in the New Year until Ash Wednesday.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.