- Title: FIFA chamber recommends lifetime soccer ban for ex-VP Hawit
- Date: 11th November 2016
- Summary: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (FILE - APRIL 11, 2016) (REUTERS) SIGN FOR EASTERN DISTRICT OF NEW YORK ON DOOR OF COURTHOUSE VARIOUS OF ALFREDO HAWIT LEAVING BROOKLYN FEDERAL COURTHOUSE EXTERIOR OF BROOKLYN FEDERAL COURTHOUSE HAWIT ENTERING CAR / CAR DRIVING AWAY
- Embargoed: 26th November 2016 15:02
- Keywords: FIFA Alfredo Hawit Banegas ethics committee Honduras FA lifetime ban bribery
- Location: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- City: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- Country: Honduras
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0015802SE7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:The FIFA Ethics Committee's investigatory chamber on Friday (November 11) called for former Honduran soccer head Alfredo Hawit Banegas to be banned from soccer for life for allegedly taking illegal payments from sports marketing firms.
Hawit, a former FIFA vice president and general secretary of the Honduran Football Association, in April pleaded guilty in U.S. federal court in New York to bribery schemes uncovered in a U.S. investigation of corruption within the world soccer body.
In a statement Friday, the investigatory chamber said Hawit deserved a lifetime ban for allegedly violating FIFA's general rules of conduct as well as prohibitions on bribery and corruption.
The case now goes to the Ethics Committee's adjudicatory chamber.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None