- Title: Wall Street opens lower after Trump wins U.S. election
- Date: 9th November 2016
- Summary: NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (NOVEMBER 9, 2016) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** U.S. PRESIDENT-ELECT DONALD TRUMP WALKING ON STAGE WITH HIS FAMILY CROWD CHEERING
- Embargoed: 24th November 2016 15:10
- Keywords: markets election Trump NYSE stocks
- Location: NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- City: NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Economic Events,Equities Markets
- Reuters ID: LVA00357Q69MV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: U.S. stocks opened lower on Wednesday (November 9) after Republican Donald Trump was elected 45th U.S. president, defeating heavily favored Democrat Hillary Clinton.
The Dow Jones industrial average was down 25.55 points, or 0.14 percent, at 18,307.19, the S&P 500 was down 10.84 points, or 0.51 percent, at 2,128.72 and the Nasdaq composite was down 41.65 points, or 0.8 percent, at 5,151.84.
"The pull back that we're currently seeing right now was expected if Trump was going to get elected. But it's not a significant pullback just yet. We had a run-up in the market two days ago. We were up 2 percent, so this is pretty much wiping out the 2 percent that we gained two sessions ago. If we continue to see continual pressure on the market, then I'd be concerned. But at this early stage right now, I think this is just the healthy movements of our markets," said Jonathan Corpina, senior managing partner at Meridian Equity Partners.
Republican Donald Trump stunned the world by defeating heavily favored rival Hillary Clinton in Tuesday's presidential election, ending eight years of Democratic rule and sending the United States on a new, uncertain path.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.