- Title: British PM pays homage at Delhi's India Gate war memorial
- Date: 7th November 2016
- Summary: FLAMES BURNING IN MEMORIAL VARIOUS OF MAY SIGNING VISITORS' BOOK SOLDIER, WATCHING MAY, SPEAKING TO SENIOR MILITARY OFFICER, WALKS TO HER VEHICLE MAY'S VEHICLE DRIVES AWAY
- Embargoed: 22nd November 2016 16:13
- Keywords: British Prime Minister Theresa May Wreath Laying New Delhi India
- Location: NEW DELHI, INDIA
- City: NEW DELHI, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA00357G313J
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Britain's Prime Minister Theresa May, making her first trip to India since Britons voted to quit the European Union, laid a wreath on Monday (November 7) at a memorial for Indian and British soldiers killed in the First World War.
The India Gate memorial in New Delhi marks the 82,000 soldiers of the Indian Army who died fighting alongside the British in WW1.
Some British soldiers names are also inscribed on the memorial, designed by the British architect Edwin Lutyens.
May's trip to India is aimed at boosting trade links and calming New Delhi's concerns over immigration as she prepares to trigger the UK's exit from the European Union.
She held talks with India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None