- Title: Music used to protest planned hero's burial for late Philippines dictator
- Date: 6th November 2016
- Summary: VARIOUS OF FERRER SINGING WITH OTHER CHILDREN FERRER AND OTHER CHILDREN BOWING
- Embargoed: 21st November 2016 15:50
- Keywords: Philippines dictator music funeral Martial Law
- Location: MANILA, PHILIPPINES
- City: MANILA, PHILIPPINES
- Country: Philippines
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA00857B39Z9
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Around 500 people gathered in Manila on Sunday (November 6) to pray and sing for a reversal of the decision to have a hero's burial for former President and dictator Ferdinand Marcos.
The Philippine Supreme Court will decide on November 8 cases filed by victims of the country's Martial Law period from 1972 to 1981 seeking to block President Rodrigo Duterte's plans to bury Marcos at the Heroes' Cemetery.
Marcos, whose 21-year rule was marked with thousands of extrajudicial killings and enforced disappearances, is currently buried in his hometown in northern Philippines.
Children have been taking part in a school play which retells the story of Martial Law victims through a musical.
Director Nor Domingo said his piece was meant to teach the next generation never to forget the lives and families ruined by Martial Law.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.