- Title: Blast in Turkey's Diyarbakir kills one, wounds at least thirty
- Date: 4th November 2016
- Summary: DIYARBAKIR, TURKEY (NOVEMBER 4, 2016) (REUTERS) VARIOUS PLUMES OF SMOKE RISING BEHIND A BUILDING
- Embargoed: 19th November 2016 05:51
- Keywords: Turkey Diyarbakir blast
- Location: DIYARBAKIR, TURKEY
- City: DIYARBAKIR, TURKEY
- Country: Turkey
- Reuters ID: LVA0015712O93
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:One person was killed and at least 30 were wounded when an explosion rocked a central district of Diyarbakir, the largest city in Turkey's mainly Kurdish southeast on Friday (November 4) hours after police detained 11 lawmakers from parliament's pro-Kurdish grouping.
The blast took place near a police station where lawmakers apprehended in Diyarbakir were taken, a security source said. Police overnight arrested the joint leaders of the Peoples' Democratic Party (HDP), parliament's second-biggest opposition grouping, over a terrorism investigation.
It was not immediately clear what caused the blast in the Baglar district, but the explosion resounded through the city. People were wounded, and several ambulances were dispatched to the area.
The armed Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) have waged a three-decade insurgency in Turkey's southeast.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None