- Title: Libyan tanks clash with Islamic State in Sirte
- Date: 5th November 2016
- Summary: SIRTE, LIBYA (NOVEMBER 5, 2016) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF SMOKE RISING BEHIND TANK ON STREET AMBULANCE DRIVING BY TANK VARIOUS OF TANKS AND AMBULANCES LIBYAN FIGHTERS STANDING NEAR ARMOURED ARTILLERY FIGHTERS IN STREET VARIOUS OF FIGHTERS ASSESSING TANK MUNITIONS VARIOUS OF TANKS DRIVING STREET SEEN FROM VIEW OF TANK GUN VARIOUS OF FIGHTERS, TANKS, AND ARMOURED ARTILLERY FIGHTERS NEAR AMBULANCE VARIOUS OF FIGHTERS STANDING IN RUBBLE VARIOUS OF ARMOURED FIGHTING VEHICLES FIGHTERS WATCHING SMOKE RISE IN DISTANCE TANK FIGHTER MAKING "VICTORY" SIGN WITH HANDS, ATOP TANK VARIOUS OF FIGHTERS AND SMOKE RISING
- Embargoed: 20th November 2016 15:55
- Keywords: Sirte Libya Islamic State fighting
- Location: SIRTE, LIBYA
- City: SIRTE, LIBYA
- Country: Libya
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Insurgencies
- Reuters ID: LVA001576370N
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Libyan forces used tanks and armoured vehicles on Saturday (November 5) in effort to oust Islamic State from the port city of Sirte.
Several weeks of advances by Libyan forces have pushed back Islamic State into the Ghiza Bahriya province.
The province bordering Sirte's Neighbourhood Three, which was retaken last week, is the last remaining area under Islamic state control in the North African country.
Libya's fighters in Sirte have been led by brigades from the city of Misrata and backed by U.S. airstrikes.
Their campaign to take the city has waged over five months, slowed by Islamic State snipers, car bombs, and hidden explosives.
Fear of civilian casualties has persisted throughout the assault.
Islamic State took Sirte in early 2015, extending its control along about 250 km (150 miles) of Libya's Mediterranean coastline.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None