- Title: Pro-government forces advance on northern Aleppo
- Date: 6th October 2016
- Summary: AL-OWEIJA, ALEPPO, SYRIA (OCTOBER 6, 2016) (VIDEO OBTAINED BY REUTERS) DISTRICT OF AL-OWEIJA PRO-GOVERNMENT FORCES GATHERED NEAR THE VILLAGE SOLDIER SPEAKING INTO A RADIO PICK UP TRUCKS DRIVING VARIOUS OF SOLDIERS PREPARING ROCKET LAUNCHER SOLDIERS CARRYING RIFLES RUNNING TOWARDS PICK-UP TRUCKS PICK-UP TRUCK WITH SOLDIERS ON BACK REVERSING ROCKET LAUNCHERS BULLDOZER ON ROAD (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) PRO-GOVERNMENT FORCES GENERAL, SAYING: "The most effective weapon during the battle was the Konkurs missile, it helped us a lot in neutralising the armed men belonging to the Nour al-Din al-Zenki movement, who were in the camp and who were supported by Jabhat al-Nusra - al-Qaeda. Later, the Turkistan movement approached." VARIOUS OF SMOKE RISING FROM LOCATIONS TARGETED BY RUSSIAN AND SYRIAN MILITARY PLANES SMOKE RISING FROM EXPLOSION SITE (AUDIO OF EXPLOSION) SMOKE RISING FROM EXPLOSION SITE UNEXPLODED MISSILE IN THE GROUND ARMBAND THAT READS (Arabic): "Al-Quds Brigade" SOLDIERS HUDDLED NEAR A WALL SOLDERS DRIVING AWAY IN A PICK UP TRUCK
- Embargoed: 21st October 2016 16:29
- Keywords: Aleppo forces bombing Syrian government
- Location: ALEPPO, SYRIA
- City: ALEPPO, SYRIA
- Country: Syria
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA00152VC6RR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Pro-government forces in Syria made advances in the industrial district of al-Oweija, to the north of Aleppo on Thursday (October 6).
A general fighting with them said rebels operating in the area had included the Nour al-Din al-Zenki movement and Jabhat al-Nusra.
The Syrian military said the army had on Wednesday gained control of several factories in al-Oweija, south of Handarat camp.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a Britain-based monitor of the war, confirmed the government's gains in that area and said that fierce battles were raging on other fronts in Aleppo, including around Bustan Pasha and Suleiman al-Halabi.
Air strikes and shelling on rebel-held eastern Aleppo, and insurgent shelling of the government-held west of the city, have killed hundreds of civilians since an offensive began on September 19, according to residents and war monitors.
The rebel-held eastern zone has been effectively besieged by the army and its allies since mid-September, and about half of its approximately 275,000 inhabitants may want to leave as food and fuel runs short, the U.N. said on Wednesday.
Since the offensive began, the army and its allies have made territorial gains in the northern part of Aleppo, capturing the Handarat refugee camp, and have also taken control of smaller areas in the south and in the city centre.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None