- Title: Jamaica continues to prepare for Matthew
- Date: 2nd October 2016
- Summary: (SOUNDBITE) (English) REVEREND ASTOR CARLYLE SPEAKING AT WEBSTER MEMORIAL UNITED CHURCH, SAYING: "Matthew wants to come with his category 5. We know that regardless what happens our lives are in the hands of God. Something happens when people determine that Jesus in not only savior but he is Lord." WOMAN WAVING HER HANDS (SOUNDBITE) (English) DWIGHT BURELL, POLICE OFFICER, SAYING: "The storm coming, I leave it in the hands of God. And as the Minister said 'anything that is in God's hands is never out of control." (SOUNDBITE) (English) NICA SIMONE MASTERS, PHARMACIST, SAYING: "You know, I'm hopeful. I know we are in God's hands and he will protect us. So far he has directed Matthew on a different path and Matthew is weakening so I am optimistic." EXTERIOR OF CHURCH
- Embargoed: 17th October 2016 18:11
- Keywords: Jamaica hurricane Matthew Kingston
- Location: KINGSTON, JAMAICA
- City: KINGSTON, JAMAICA
- Country: Jamaica
- Reuters ID: LVA00352BB2H3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Residents of Kingston continued boarding up their businesses on Sunday (October 2) as Hurricane Matthew slowly churned north into the Caribbean sea.
Projection models earlier in the week had the powerful storm, now a category 4 hurricane, making a direct hit on the Jamaican capital. Over the past two days, the storm has shifted eastward, but hurricane force winds are still expected to hit the island nation's eastern regions.
The Webster Memorial United Church in Kingston packed full.
"The storm coming, I leave it in the hands of God. And as the Minister said 'anything that is in God's hands is never out of control," said police officer Dwight Burell after the service.
"You know, I'm hopeful," said 38-year-old Nica Simone Masters holding her daughters hand. "I know we are in God's hands and he will protect us. So far he has directed Matthew on a different path and Matthew is weakening so I am optimistic," she added.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None