- Title: UK: U.S. singer Tim Storms hits low note with world's deepest voice
- Date: 22nd August 2012
- Summary: VARIOUS OF TIM STORMS SINGING SCALE DOWN TO HIS LOWEST NOTE
- Embargoed: 6th September 2012 13:00
- Location: United Kingdom
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Entertainment,Quirky,People
- Reuters ID: LVA144ZZYY8VNPB0G8JK1MARREGS
- Story Text: Tim Storms, from the USA, has a vocal range of 10 octaves, and holds the world record for hitting the lowest note.
His talent was discovered after he sang at a Christian summer camp as a child, and it deepened even further when he reached adulthood.
"My lowest note would be somewhere around if you were to take another piano and sit at the bottom on the left side of the piano, that would be about how low I can go - eight octaves lower than the lowest G on the piano.", Storms said.
Storms holds the Guinness World record for: having the widest vocal range, of ten octaves; and reaching the lowest note G -7 (0.189 Hz) He says has been examined by an ear nose and throat specialist doctor who was intrigued by his voice.
"He stuck a video scope up my nose and down my throat and I could see my vocal chords on a video screen which was really cool - kind of gross but really cool and he said that my vocal chords were almost twice as long as he's used to seeing and the arytenoid muscles around my vocal chords - they had a lot more movement to them.", he said Storms features on several tracks on an album with some songs from the composer of the music for the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's wedding in the UK in 2011.
Decca Records conducted a search, along with the composer, Paul Mealor, for a low bass voice and found Storms, who sang in a low E (41.203 Hz) for the album, 'Tranquillity', with the St. Petersburg Chamber Choir.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2012. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.