- Title: England cricket team arrive in Bangladesh with high security
- Date: 30th September 2016
- Summary: DHAKA, BANGLADESH (SEPTEMBER 30, 2016) (REUTERS) **** WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY **** VARIOUS OF SECURITY AT DHAKA INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT VARIOUS OF ENGLAND CRICKET TEAM COACH DEPARTING AIRPORT SECURITY VEHICLES FOLLOWING COACH
- Embargoed: 15th October 2016 17:32
- Keywords: Bangladesh England cricket security
- Location: DHAKA, BANGLADESH
- City: DHAKA, BANGLADESH
- Country: Bangladesh
- Topics: Cricket,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA00151REPMN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:The England cricket team arrived in Bangladesh on Friday (September 30) amid security concerns to play three-one day internationals and two test matches.
Security was tight as the team arrived at Dhaka Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport. The team bus was escorted by security forces.
Muslim-majority Bangladesh faces what appears to be a growing threat of militant violence and has seen a string of incidents last year including the shooting of three foreigners, two of whom died.
Last year, Australia pulled out of their tour to Bangladesh over security concerns and did not compete in the under-19 World Cup hosted in the country for the same reasons.
Security is being stepped up in the capital Dhaka around the cricket stadium and other key venues.
There has been much controversy surrounding the upcoming tour, with one-day captain Eoin Morgan and batsman Alex Hales withdrawing earlier this month due to security fears.
The England and Wales Cricket Board's security delegation deemed that the South Asian country was safe for the five-week tour to proceed after concerns were raised following an attack by gunmen on a cafe in Dhaka which killed 22 people in July.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None