- Title: Syrian army, rebels wage fierce battles in Aleppo
- Date: 1st October 2016
- Summary: HANDARAT, ALEPPO, SYRIA (OCTOBER 1, 2016) (VIDEO OBTAINED BY REUTERS) VIEW FROM VEHICLE PASSING THROUGH DAMAGED BUILDINGS VARIOUS OF DAMAGED BUILDINGS SOLDIER USING MILITARY TELESCOPE SOLDIER FIRING HEAVY MACHINE GUN SOLDIER LOOKING OUT OVER HORIZON SOLDIERS CLOSE TO TANK SOLDIER FIRING HEAVY MACHINE GUN SMOKE RISING OVER ALEPPO BUILDINGS ON HORIZON SOLDIERS SPEAKING TO EACH OTHER FIRE BURNING SOLDIERS ON MOUND, ONE LOOKING THROUGH BINOCULARS SOLDIERS RUNNING ALONG WALL, FIRING WEAPONS SOLDIERS RUNNING SOLDIER SPEAKING ON RADIO, SAYING (Arabic): "Abbas, Abbas, where are you, fighter? Bravo. May God give you power, the heroes of the Syrian Arab Army, may God protect you. Come on, we want to dance. We do not want to stop at al-Kindi Hospital, we want to finish the whole area." VARIOUS OF SOLDIERS FIRING
- Embargoed: 16th October 2016 14:35
- Keywords: Syria Aleppo government forces rebels
- Location: ALEPPO, SYRIA
- City: ALEPPO, SYRIA
- Country: Syria
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA0025269Z5Z
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Syrian government forces and rebels fought battles in the centre of Aleppo and north of the city on Friday and Saturday (September 30 and October 1), a week into a Russian-backed offensive by the Syrian army to take the entire area, a war monitor and sources on both sides said.
Video distributed by the Syrian military showed what appeared to be close-combat fighting in the area of Bustan al-Basha, a district just to the north of the city centre.
Footage obtained by Reuters also showed fighting by Syrian government forces in Handarat, an area north of Aleppo.
Pro-Syrian government forces gained control over the Handarat camp on Thursday (September 29), a rebel official and a war monitor said.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights and a television station operated by Hezbollah said government forces had also taken the Kindi Hospital area adjacent to the Handarat Palestinian refugee camp, a few kilometres (miles) from the city on Friday.
But rebel sources denied there had been any additional advances north of the city by government forces.
Russia was reported on Friday to be sending more warplanes to Syria to ramp up its air campaign as the United States said it had not yet given up on finding a diplomatic resolution.
Saturday's air strikes focused on major supply lines into rebel-held areas - the Castello Road and Malah district - while fighting raged in the Suleiman al Halabi neighborhood, the front line to the north of Aleppo's Old City.
France condemned the bombing on Saturday of a hospital in Aleppo, saying the shelling of healthcare structures and personnel in the besieged Syrian city constituted war crimes.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None