- Title: Euromillions jackpot hits 130 million, lottery ticket buyers dream big
- Date: 30th September 2016
- Summary: VENDOR RUNNING TICKET THROUGH MACHINE THEN SELECTING NEW OPTIONS
- Embargoed: 15th October 2016 12:23
- Keywords: Euromillions money lottery tickets jackpot prize
- Location: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
- City: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
- Country: Belgium
- Topics: Arts/Culture/Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA00651RD6BR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Lottery hopefuls in Brussels tried their luck at winning the Euromillions on Friday (September 30) with a 130 million euros jackpot up for grabs.
Though the chances of winning remain very small, lottery ticket buyers still dared to dream big about what they would do if they won the prize by choosing five correct numbers between 1 and 50 and two lucky stars between 1 and 12.
"I'll give it to my family, it's not for me, I'm fine. It's my son, my parents, brother, my sister, all of them, there's no problem for that. I even want to give to my village, to the church, for the kids, the little ones, for those with handicaps," said Diamandis Hatjgeorgakedis, a 65-year-old man originally from Greece who has lived in Brussels for 28 years.
Hatjgeorgakedis is among the players in all nine participating countries around Europe who will be crossing their fingers until this evening's draw, which closes at 1830GMT.
Even after Brexit, residents in the United Kingdom are still permitted to participate in the Euromillions.
Other players like 32-year-old Ali Ayoub from Lebanon said he would use the money to grow his business and build a future for himself in Belgium.
"I am here as investor, I will make my company grow more and more, I will make more transactions, import, export between Lebanon and Belgium. I'll complete my studies, right now I'm master (degree) in Leuven, I will continue until Ph.D. And I will build my future here in Belgium," he said.
The largest Euromillions jackpot of 148 million pounds (162.5 million euros) was won by a couple from Suffolk, Andrian and Gillian Bayford, in August 2012.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Video restrictions: parts of this video may require additional clearances. Please see ‘Business Notes’ for more information.