- Title: African duo voted onto FIFA Council by CAF
- Date: 29th September 2016
- Summary: CAIRO, EGYPT (SEPTEMBER 29, 2016) (REUTERS) ****WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** VARIOUS OF CAF DELEGATES SITTING IN PLENARY HALL BANNER READING IN ENGLISH: "CAF EXTRAORDINARY GENERAL ASSEMBLY, CAIRO" FIFA PRESIDENT, GIANNI INFANTINO (FRONT LEFT) AND CAF PRESIDENT, ISSA HAYATOU (FRONT RIGHT) (SOUNDBITE) (English) FIFA PRESIDENT, GIANNI INFANTINO SAYING: "Because Africa has a very, very important role in football; and this I was saying it during my campaign you know that, but it shouldn't be only words because many people are saying this and have said this we have to move from the words to the action and we have to give Africa of course the place it deserves in world football. The place it deserves for everything that Africa is doing for world football, for all the talents which are playing everywhere in the world, in Europe, in Asia, in America, everywhere." CAF DELEGATES CAF DELEGATES SEATED EGYPT'S CAF DELEGATES REPRESENTATIVES VARIOUS OF CAF DELEGATES VARIOUS OF CAF DELEGATES CASTING VOTES CAF DELEGATES CAF PRESIDENT, ISSA HAYATOU ANNOUNCING VOTE RESULTS ALMAMY KABELE CAMARA WAVING FIFA PRESIDENT, INFANTINO TAKING PICTURES WITH CAF DELEGATES
- Embargoed: 14th October 2016 14:35
- Keywords: Egypt soccer Infantino Kwesi Nyantakyi Kwesi Nyantakyi Almamy Kabele Camara CAF Africa
- Location: CAIRO, EGYPT
- City: CAIRO, EGYPT
- Country: Egypt
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA00151MBXHB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:African soccer leaders elected Guinea's Almamy Kabele Camara and Ghana's Kwesi Nyantakyi on Thursday (September 29) to represent the continent on the expanded 36-member FIFA Council.
Camara, the Confederation of African Football's (CAF) second vice president, and Ghana Football Association president Nyantakyi will complete a seven-member African delegation at an Oct. 13-14 gathering of the FIFA Council in Zurich, chaired by President Gianni Infantino.
The meeting will include discussions to expand the 2026 World Cup to 40 teams.
Camara and Nyantakyi were voted in at an extraordinary general meeting of CAF in Cairo that was attended by Infantino. Their term will run until March 16 next year.
All 54 member associations of CAF had two votes in the election, with Camara coming out on top with 37.
Nyantakyi (31) edged out the Madagascan FA head, known simply as Ahmed, by a single vote.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None