- Title: Calais Jungle clearance resumes, tents and shelters ablaze
- Date: 26th October 2016
- Summary: CALAIS, FRANCE (OCTOBER 26, 2016) (REUTERS) SMOKE RISING FROM FIRES LIT IN TENTS IN THE CAMP FIRE FIGHTER STANDING BESIDE BURNT OUT BUILDING / FILMED THROUGH THE SMOKE LARGE CLOUD OF BLACK SMOKE RISING FROM A FIRE / PEOPLE WALKING FIREFIGHTER STANDING BESIDE A LADDER / FLAMES AND SMOKE IN BACKGROUND SMOKE RISING ABOVE CAMP VARIOUS OF SMOKE AND FLAMES FROM FIRES LARGE CLOUD OF BLACK SMOKE ABOVE CARAVANS AND TENTS IN CAMP VARIOUS OF FIRES AND SMOKE IN CAMP PEOPLE STANDING AND WATCHING FIRES AND SMOKE IN CAMP BLACK SMOKE RISING ABOVE CARAVANS AND TENTS IN CAMP PEOPLE STANDING ON A MOUND WITH SMOKE AROUND THEM PEOPLE PUSHING A WHITE CARAVAN BLACK SMOKE RISING FROM FIRE IN CAMP
- Embargoed: 10th November 2016 11:10
- Keywords: France Calais The Jungle refugees migrants fire tents shelter
- Location: CALAIS, FRANCE
- City: CALAIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Race Relations / Ethnic Issues,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA00155N6TZB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Migrants set more tents and shelters ablaze at the "Jungle" camp in Calais on Wednesday (October 26) as others queued to be relocated and authorities resumed clearing the camp.
Local opposition to the squalid and unsanitary camp which at one point housed more than 6,000 people, along with criticism from right-wing politicians, has stung the French government into launching a clearing operation which began on Monday (October 24).
More than 4,000 migrants, who had come to Calais hoping to cross the short stretch of sea to Britain by trying to leap on trucks and trains or walk through the tunnel, have been bussed out of the camp and relocated around France.
Around midday on Wednesday (October 26) large fires were set once again amid the wood, plastic and fabric of the camp and vast plumes of smoke rose about the site.
The fires have been something of a ritual since earlier in the year when one section of the camp was partly dismantled.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None